Saturday, November 10, 2012

Worldwide NET Cancer Awareness Day

November 10 is Worldwide NET Cancer Awareness Day. I have to doubt that many (any?) people I know will be aware of NET cancer awareness day, considering most people don't even know NET cancer exists. I haven't told people many details of the reason for my surgery. At most, I gave a vague 'tumours that had to be removed before they became a problem' description, and the follow up 'they are pretty sure it has spread but don't know where' without any detail of what 'it' is. I don't like to talk about myself much. I just don't feel overly comfortable giving details about anything personal. I'd rather suffer alone and not deal with the awkwardness of people in a world where cancer is still one of those subjects that doesn't sit well. Plus I hate when people interrupt something difficult you're trying to tell them with their own stories of trauma. It bothers me intensely. I understand the psychology behind this behaviour, but it annoys me greatly. And it happens frequently. I've watched it in other people's conversations. Personal ranting aside, today, on NET Cancer Awarenss day, I hope that everyone affected by it is heartened, even slightly, by the idea that research is moving forward - a promising new virus to fight it is close to being researched (funding pending), and there are many more of us out there who are aware of this rare and frightening, but thankfully slow-growing, form of cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment